As we age, health complications and mobility issues can lead to isolation, making spending time with family and friends even more important and special. Social interactions can impact physical health, mental health, and mortality risk. Research studies have shown that seniors who socialize more experience better overall physical and emotional health.
Isolation is one of the most common causes of depression in seniors and can be caused by numerous factors. It is important for seniors to socialize to prevent the negative consequences of isolation.
Below is a list of seven health benefits of social interaction.
1. Improves quality of life. Staying connected with family and friends can improve both the quality and length of our lives.
2. Lowers stress and reduces blood pressure. Socializing increases the production of a hormone that is responsible for decreasing levels of anxiety and increasing our ability to cope with stressors.
3. Reduces the risk of depression. Depression can interfere with daily functioning and cause a persistent feeling of sadness.
4. Increases immunity. This is especially important for seniors. As a result, you will be better able to fight off the flu, colds, cardiovascular disease, and cancer.
5. Improves brain health. Although cognitive decline is part of the aging process, social interactions can slow this decline. Seniors who regularly socialize are found to have a better working memory, processing speed, and verbal fluency.
6. Boosts self-esteem. Social interactions can give seniors a sense of meaning and purpose.
7. Better mental health. One of the most effective ways for seniors to improve their mental health is through socialization, which improves cognition and mood.
The Boom Health app is Toronto’s home care assistance app that helps you book services – saving you time. Keep the whole family up to date with Boom’s chat platform. Find the app on the App Store or Google Play Store.