As people age, many seniors will require some level of care and assistance. Admitting the need for assistance is difficult for people as they age. Many seniors like to remain independent for as long as possible, but when is it the time to get them care?
If you have observed any, some, or all of these signs, you should look into getting care for your loved one.
1. If your loved one is having difficulty performing activities of daily living. This includes activities such as bathing, dressing, toileting, and grooming.
2. If your loved one has a chronic illness or is recovering after discharge from hospital. This could affect your loved one’s ability to function on a daily basis.
3. Changes in physical appearance and/or function. This can include, but is not limited to, noticeable weight loss or weight gain, difficulty eating, and dressing inappropriately for the weather.
4. Poor personal hygiene. Repeatedly wearing the same clothes or body odor due to infrequent showering or bathing can indicate that your loved one might need help at home.
5. Changes in mood or mood swings. This can be due to struggles that your loved one is trying to hide.
6. Neglecting household responsibilities such as unpaid bills, a low supply of food, and changes in household cleanliness.
7. Forgetfulness. This may include forgetting to take medications, misplacing items, or missing appointments.
8. Unexplained damages or scratches to your loved one’s car. It could be time to tell your loved one to stop driving and instead use a transportation service or ask for a ride from family or friends when they need to go somewhere.
9. Bruises or cuts. This may be due to falls, among other things. Check out the blog How to make your home safe and accessible for seniors for tips to prevent injuries, reduce the risk of falls, and assist in the independence of you or your loved one.
10. Problems with mobility. You could look at purchasing medical equipment such as walkers, rollators, wheelchairs, or mobility scooters for your loved one.
The Boom Health app helps families manage their loved one’s care through a consolidated marketplace of health care resources. You can book experienced, in-home caregivers, schedule door-to-door transportation, rent or purchase medical equipment, order a meal plan, and book personal care services through Boom Health. Check out the app on the App Store or Google Play Store today!