As summer reaches its peak, so do the warm (often hot!) temperatures, and the opportunity for seniors to get outside more often. With the pandemic, it has been difficult for seniors to enjoy the last few summers. As restrictions lift, there are several safe and fun activities that seniors can enjoy this summer.
1. Swimming. It can increase strength, reduce pain, and improve balance. The buoyancy of water lessens the impact on joints so it can help seniors who have stiff joints or arthritis.
2. Go for a walk. This is a great way to get outside and get some exercise. It gives you a nice change of scenery and can relieve stress.
3. Gardening. It provides light exercise, boosts mental clarity, and allows seniors to maintain strength and mobility.
4. Have a picnic. This can be at a local park, playground, or in your front or backyard. Picnics provide an opportunity to socialize with family or friends while enjoying the outdoors. (Boom Health Meals can help you make your picnic a breeze!)
5. Visit the farmer’s market. You can purchase amazing produce while supporting local farmers.
6. Birdwatching. Although this may not seem as interesting as the other items on this list, birdwatching can calm the mind and allows you to connect with nature.
7. Fishing. It is a great activity for seniors with limited mobility. You can turn this into an excursion with family or friends at a nearby lake, river, or pond.
8. Attend an outdoor sporting event. This can range from a grandchild’s game to a professional game. Many stadiums offer discounts for seniors, as well as designated seating and parking
An all-in-one caregiving app, the Boom Health app allows you to find caregivers, book personal care services, order prepared meals, rent or purchase medical equipment, get emergency assistance, and schedule transportation. The app is available for download on the App Store and Google Play Store.