Your health becomes more important as you age so it’s very important to take care of it. Seniors are at higher risk than others to catch various flu viruses, which can lead to other complications such as pneumonia and bronchitis. This is why taking care of your body and strengthening your immune system are so vital.
5 health tips that seniors can follow as they age
1. Stay active. Physical activity boosts the immune system by suppressing several immune cells while simultaneously stimulating other immune system functions. Regular moderate-intensity workouts can have the same health benefits as high-intensity ones.
2. Eat a healthy diet. As we age, our digestive system slows. Therefore, seniors should eat more fiber-rich foods such as fruits, vegetables, and grains to help promote weight loss and avoid constipation. You should also try to limit your consumption of alcohol, fatty foods, and sugar.
3. Check in with your doctor. By doing so, you can determine if any lifestyle changes can be made to improve your health. In addition, your doctor can diagnose any problems early, which may prevent long-term complications.
4. Get lots of rest. Seniors should aim for 7-8 hours of sleep per night. Problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease can be caused in part by not getting enough sleep. To improve the quality of your sleep, try finding a dark, quiet, and comfortable place to sleep.
5. Manage your stress. The hormone cortisol is released in response to stress and high levels of it can lead to the disruption of several body functions. Socialization and participating in hobbies are great ways for seniors to reduce stress.
This article is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice or diagnosis. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.