Maintaining good health as we age can be difficult, but with a few small changes, the benefits can be life changing. Seniors are at higher risk than others to catch various viruses, which can lead to other complications such as pneumonia and bronchitis. This is why taking care of your body and strengthening your immune system are so vital.
Below is a list of health tips that seniors can follow as they age.
1. Stay active. Physical activity boosts the immune system by suppressing several immune cells while simultaneously stimulating other immune system functions. Regular moderate-intensity workouts can have the same health benefits as high-intensity ones. Even a simple brisk walk can help boost your over all mood, energy level and maintain a sense of well being.
2. Eat a healthy diet. As we age, our digestive system tends to slow down. Therefore, seniors should be trying to eat more fibre rich foods such as fruits, vegetables, and grains to help promote weight loss and avoid constipation. You should also try to limit your consumption of alcohol, fatty foods, and sugar. Something we pride ourselves with here at Boom Health are our small batch, wholesome meals. We offer a variety of fresh produce, lean meats, and dishes that are suitable for a variety of health concerns.
3. Regular check ins with your doctor. By doing so, you can determine if any lifestyle changes can be made to improve your health. In addition, your doctor can diagnose any problems early, which may prevent long-term complications. We all tend to shy away from regular check ups but they are a vital part of maintaining good health.
4. Get lots of rest. Seniors should aim for 7-8 hours of sleep per night. Problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease can be caused in part by not getting enough sleep. To improve the quality of your sleep, try finding a dark, quiet, and comfortable place to rest and avoid external stimuli.
5. Manage your stress. The hormone Cortisol is released in response to stress and high levels of agitation, and can lead to the disruption of several body functions. Socialization and participation in hobbies are great ways for seniors to reduce stress.
This article is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice or diagnosis. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.