As the weather cools and leaves change colour, it can be the start of a quieter season. However, seniors can enjoy various activities both alone or with friends and family.
7 activities to keep you or your loved one busy and entertained in the fall
1. Baking. This activity is especially fun for seniors who like to cook or eat. Try baking delicious seasonal treats such as pies, cheesecakes, and sugar cookies.
2. Visit the farmers market. This is a great way to support local farms while getting items such as fruits, vegetables, jams, and loaves of bread.
3. Go for a walk. The cool, comfortable weather makes fall an excellent time to enjoy nature. Walking is a good exercise for seniors to strengthen their muscles, improve cardiovascular health, and help keep a steady weight.
4. Apple picking. Many farms allow seniors to pick apples directly from trees. You can eat the apples or use them to make snacks including apple cider, apple pie, and apple fritter.
5. Create seasonal arts and crafts. Doing so can improve self-esteem, allow seniors to feel relaxed and in control, and provide an opportunity to socialize.
6. Have a fall picnic. This can be done at a park or in your backyard and is a great way to spend time with friends and family.
7. Bird watching. You can do this from anywhere and it stimulates memory, awareness, and cognitive alertness.
The Boom Health app, an all-in-one caregiving app, allows you to find caregivers, book personal care services, order prepared meals, rent or purchase medical equipment, get emergency assistance, and schedule transportation. The app can be downloaded on the App Store and Google Play Store.
This article is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice or diagnosis. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.