Golf is a low-impact sport that encourages seniors to socialize, provides physical and mental benefits, and carries a much lower risk of injury than many other sports. It is a great way for seniors to get outside and exercise.
Below is a list of 5 benefits of golf for seniors.
1. Physical activity. On average, golfers walk more than 6 kilometers when playing 18 holes of golf. According to Golf Digest, 1,442 calories are burned by walking 18 holes, while riding a cart for 18 holes burns 809 calories. Regular exercise is especially important for seniors as it can improve memory and reduce the risk of falling.
2. Provides an opportunity to socialize. As we age, it becomes increasingly difficult to stay connected with family and friends. Golfing can help build and maintain relationships while providing you with something to keep looking forward to.
3. Brain stimulation. Since golf requires strategy and focus, it is a great activity for brain stimulation. Golf keeps the mind strong as it is filled with numerous precise calculations such as the distance to the pin and green speeds.
4. Releases endorphins. These chemicals help relieve your overall stress by boosting your mood and well-being.
5. Improves sleep. A round of golf can result in a night of rapid eye movement sleep, which is beneficial for brain function and repairing muscles and joints.
If you or your loved one has mobility issues, consider using a golf cart to get around the course. Alternatively, you can play from the red tees, which are often closest to the green, or play shorter courses such as executive or par 3 courses.
The Boom Health app was created to give back time to people to spend with their loved one. By using Boom Health, you’ll get the care you need, when you need it. Check out the app on the App Store or Google Play Store to get started.